Educational work with foreign students is conducted in accordance with the “Mentoring conception of KSMU students”, Package programme of measures and actions in perfection of KSMU students’ education, Regulation on educational work with foreign students.
The employees of the Administration for international relations are involved in educational work. They are: I.S. Orobinskaya (hostel No 4), I.A. Kukarskikh (hostel No 5), V.L. Leonidova (hostel No 6). The responsible for educational work is the head of the department of educational work T.F. Dremina. The head of the Administration for international relations Yu.Sh. Iobidze realizes general management and control.
The following lines are top-priority in educational work with foreign students:
- adaptation of newly arrived students to living conditions and study in Russia;
- organization of free time: mass-cultural and sport work;
- development and consolidation of principles of student self-administration;
- training of tolerance and international liberality in a student sphere;
- promotion of a healthy lifestyle.
The most important aspects of adaptation of foreign citizens, coming for studying to the Russian Federation, are: adaptation to a new socio-cultural environment, new climate conditions, different time zone, new educational system, new language of communication, international structure of training groups and courses, lifestyle and culture of a new country.
Among measures, conducted by the employees of the Administration for international relations in adaptation of newly arrived students, the main aspect is focused on individual work with each student. The tutors inoculate newly arrived students skills of self-dependence in the country with different lifestyle and climate conditions assisted by senior students. Newly arrived students are settled in hostel rooms in accordance with nationality, religion and psychological compatibility.
New students are instructed in safety regulations, internal regulations of the university and hostels, the rules of using electric heaters and household appliances, sanitary appliances in the kitchen, in the shower room and toilet, observing fire safety rules, observing the rules of personal safety, how to dress properly in cold time of year. Foreign citizens are informed about the above rules against signature by the hostel tutor. The hostel tutors pay much attention to providing every student with necessary living conditions (hostel rooms are supplied with furniture, bed linen; settlement of domestic problems).
Every foreign citizen accepted to the university becomes acquainted with the Charter, License, and Certificate of the State Accreditation of the university, the Rules and Regulations of the internal labour policy of the university, student hostels internal Regulations and other local acts of the university.
Annually with the purpose of familiarization with the legislation of Russia and prevention of violating legislation of Russia as well as providing safety, the university administration organizes meetings of international students with officials of the Department of Internal Affairs of Kursk, Police station No3, Department of the Federal Migration Service for the Kursk region, chief administration of the Ministry of Emergency Situations of Russia for the Kursk region, Drug Control Service for the Kursk region, the Centre for Counteracting Extremism for the Kursk region.
You can get acquainted with the reports on educational activities carried out by the administration for international relations on the site page of the administration in the section “Events”.
PECULIARITIES OF FOREIGN STUDENTS’ ADAPTATION
One of the principal areas of the educational work with the foreign students is the process of their adaptation, which is a long and complex period including many aspects. The most important of them are adaptation to a new sociocultural environment, different climatic conditions and different time zone, as well as to a new educational system, language of communication, international composition of study groups and batches.
The main problems of the adaptation of foreign students:
- poor or insufficient knowledge of the Russian language
- the cuisine, food products
- the climate, weather conditions, time difference
- orientation in the city
- living conditions
- international nature of the study groups, etc.
All these problems affect not only the psychological health of the foreign students, but also for the most part the physical health.
Hints on adaptation:
- control the validity period of your official documents, without which residence in another country is impossible (visa, registration). If you change the place of residence, CHANGE THE REGISTRATION. In case you have questions, you can contact the Department for visa and registration issues of the Administration for international relations (r. 129)
- before you leave for another city it is necessary to warn the Dean’s office of the international faculty
- before going outside track the weather conditions. Dress up in accordance with the temperature regime
- before starting a trip, specify the needed address and the ways of arrival, so that you will not get lost in the city
- when using public transport, remove backpacks from the shoulders, do not speak loudly
- do not put wallets and documents in your pockets, keep an eye on your personal belongings
- be attentive and cautious in public places
- do not leave your things unattended or with unfamiliar people
- do not go outside in the dark, walk along the main streets, avoiding poorly lit places
- please refrain from visiting nightclubs and potentially dangerous places
- comply with the dress code while you are in the university
- do not smoke or drink alcohol in public places
- if you need medical assistance, you can contact the Administration for international relations (r. 128, r. 134), if you need emergency medical assistance, call 112 saying your address and full name (Common number of the fire service and police)
- you can ask senior students, leaders of the communities for help
If you have difficulties in adapting to the new sociocultural conditions, you can contact the Administration for international relations: r. 128, tel.: 8 4712 588 150, or the Psychological Centre: e-mail: email@example.com; tel.: 84712 58 86 37.